8SW Composer Competition
Building on its advocacy for new music, Eight Strings & a Whistle launched its first 8SW Composer Competition in 2017. Held every two years, the Competition invites composers of all ages enrolled in an accredited degree program at the time of application to submit a work composed for flute, viola and cello. The First Prize is the World Premiere of the winning composer’s work on our annual Fall concert in New York City and a Featured Composer interview on our website.
Eight Strings & a Whistle is very pleased to announce the winners of the 2022 competition:
First Place: Kyle Soliz for Radiance. Kyle is currently an undergraduate student at The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Second Place: Gabriel Teixeira for Kite. Gabriel is currently a graduate student at Azusa Pacific University.
Third Place: Aaron Reising for Broken. Aaron is currently an undergraduate student at Capital University.
8SW Composer Competition 2024 General Information
All applications and supporting materials will be accepted beginning October 1, 2023. All submissions, including the application fee, must be received by 11:59PM on February 1, 2024.
Eligibility and Description: The Competition is open to composers of all ages, but applicants must be enrolled in an accredited degree program at the time of application. Eligible programs include BM, BA, MM, MA, DMA, PHD, Artist Diploma or their international equivalents. All submissions must be works composed for flute, viola and cello.
FIRST PRIZE: Eight Strings & a Whistle will perform the World Premiere of the winning composer’s work in the Fall of 2024. The winning entrant will also receive a working rehearsal with Eight Strings & a Whistle, a featured interview on the Eight Strings & a Whistle website and a stipend of $300 to help defer travel expenses.
Scores and mp3’s should be emailed to 8SWcompetition@gmail.com as detailed below.
The winner will be announced in May, 2024.
All applications will be adjudicated by a panel of composers and the members of Eight Strings & a Whistle. The decision of the judges is final.
- The work may not have been previously performed.
- Proposed length: Total time between 6-15 minutes. The piece can be a multi- or single-movement work.
- Entries must be written for flute, viola and cello. In the writing for the flute, the composition must include C flute, either alone or in the following combinations: flute/ alto flute; flute/ piccolo; flute/ alto flute/ piccolo.
- There can be no incorporation of electronics.
- Only one submission per applicant. Past 8SW Composer Competition first prize winners are not eligible to apply.
- One application fee of $12.00. (If you are not a resident of the United States and are unable to transfer funds to the U.S. please contact our Program Manager at 8SWcompetition@gmail.com before submitting materials.)
Applications and supporting materials will be accepted beginning on October 1, 2021.
All applicants must submit:
- Scores: The Score with no identifying markings in either the file or file name. This includes pseudonyms, dedications and commissioner names.
- Scores must be created in Finale, Sibelius or some other type of of music entry software program. No handwritten scores will be accepted.
- All scores must be in .pdf file format. Multiple movement scores should be submitted as a single .pdf file.
- Recordings. Live or MIDI recordings must accompany each application. All recordings should be submitted as mp3 files. Recordings of multiple movement works should be submitted as a single mp3 file.
- Recordings may not contain any identifying markings. This includes names of performers and composers in the file name as well as the metadata. If the recording is of a live performance, names of performers or composer cannot be heard/spoken on the recording.
- Application Form: All applicants must complete the online application form. Please click here to get to the form. (The link will be available starting Fall, 2023)
- Applications will not be considered complete until the $12 application fee has been submitted. Please submit payment here.
All questions should be directed to: Program Manager at 8SWcompetition@gmail.com.